PR law draws upon a range of different legal practice areas, including copyright, competition law and press law.
Our services cover:
- Checking PR campaigns and content such as photographs, videos, texts, illustrations etc, also in relation to picture agencies and stock archives
- Advising on the placement of advertorials or use of native advertising
- Advice on displaying references (names and projects)
- Reviewing the requirements and lawfulness of online communications
- Advising on media co-operations
- Advising on pitch preparation
- Deploying press reports and reviews
- The lawfulness and terms of entry of competitions
- Corporate publishing
- Assessing social security contributions for artists where creatives are engaged and public relations work is provided for customers or clients
Attorneys Alexander Unverzagt and Claudia Gips are the authors of the "Handbuch PR-Recht" (the Handbook of PR Law), first published in 2010. In 19 chapters they set out the legal pitfalls that PR specialists face, and how to spot and avoid them.
They also authored the chapter on "Rechtsfindung und Rufwahrung: Zur Zukunft der Litigation PR in der juristischen Praxis" in "Litigation-PR: Alles was Recht ist" ("Legal rulings and reputation management: on the future of litigation PR in legal practice" in Litigation PR - By all that is right and fair).
Since 2014, Alexander Unverzagt and Claudia Gips have produced the Communications Law Newsletter published by depak, the German Press Academy in Berlin, analysing the latest cases in communications law and providing practical tips on how to comply with them.
Alongside various presentations on the subject of PR Law (amongst others, to depak, the German Institute for Public Relations (DIPR), the Hamburg Academy of Journalism and Communications, The German Communication Association and the Hamburg PR Club), Alexander Unverzagt and Claudia Gips also blog on PR topics – see www.prrecht.de.
In 2015, Alexander Unverzagt and Claudia Gips set up an interdisciplinary crisis communications company, bringing together experts from seven different professions, including social media, civil, criminal and insolvency law, executive training and media training. The company is active on the market under the name krisenExperten GmbH.